Friday, September 14, 2012

Results

I've been putting off writing this post as I really just don't know what to say. I've finally decided I might as well just tell the truth, it will give you a little idea as to how Tim & I's viewpoints vary in the circumstances we encounter.

First the facts, on Wednesday Tim & I were both pretty nervous as we knew we'd be meeting with Dr. Edenfield Thursday morning but were anxious as we still hadn't been given a hint of what the results were. Typically we at least have some sort of idea as to what to expect, good or bad. This time we knew something had changed but had no clue if it is severe, not a big deal, etc. Tim called up to the cancer center and got a call back around 3:30 from Dr. Edenfield. He told him that the nodules in his lungs have increased slightly and that an original lymph node that previously lit up but we never knew if it was cancerous or responding to injury from Tim's very invasive abdominal surgery, was slightly enlarged as well as a lymph node under the point where his bronchial tubes split. We then met with Dr. Edenfield yesterday morning to review the scans in person and to discuss next steps. It seems like the majority of his lung nodules are on the periphery of his lungs but they are becoming a little easier to spot now. I have to admit that my heart still skips a beat and I have a slight panic attack each time I see those scans and mistake a blood vessel for a tumor until Dr. Edenfield points out the actual locations which are much harder to see.

Tim has officially been pulled from the Charleston trial but for the next two weeks he won't be on any meds at all in order to give his feet and hands some time to heal before we move on to something else. He really has been to hell & back with those things. To give you an idea basically by the end of a treatment his feet are covered in blisters which heal over the off week but also peel off during their healing process leaving fresh raw pink skin. That new skin ends up developing into new blisters during the next round and the cycle perpetuates getting a little worse each time.

Next Thursday we will be going back up to Chapel Hill to meet with Dr. O'Neil again to get his opinion on what we should do next as well as just to check-in and see what he may have to offer in terms of trials or treatments. The Friday after that we will travel down to see Dr. Geils & Debbie one last time for Tim's discharge out of the trial program. A previous program Tim did with the Vectibix may be our next try but we aren't sure if he has been off of it long enough for it to begin to work again, it's the one that worked pretty successfully before and gave him the rash on his face and upper torso.

Now for what this means & how Tim & I differ in opinion on this. Tim is happy with the results, he had feared that there was more of a spread than what happened or that it had spread to his liver or any other major organs. I, on the other hand, am pretty scared for the fact that it has moved out of his lungs and, significant or not, is in locations it hasn't ever been in or hasn't been in for almost 2 years now. I think his words say it best:

"Am I happy that I have 2 insignificant lymph nodes pop up or that some of the spots are a bit larger.  No, I am not, but I won a battle in the sense that it's not in another organ right now. My feet and those problems really have me down and frustrated but now that I know this wasn't the drug for me I am ready to move on and start fighting again. These little breaks I get are very important to me because they let me be normal again even if it is for only 14-20 days. If you think about it I am not normal for probably 200 days in a row and those days are when I feel like I can have fun and sit back and breathe for even just a second.  

Am I happy that I will be feeling shitty for 3 days out of 14 again, hell no.  But that is my life right now and it will be for the foreseeable future. I guess what I am saying is that when I say I am happy about the results, that is what I mean."

Ultimately neither of our opinions really matter as the important thing is that we do find a treatment that starts working as soon as possible. I will say though, that I am so proud of him. Throughout everything he is such an amazing fighter and so much stronger than I could ever hope to be. Admittedly there are many nights where he is comforting me rather than the other way around. If I had my way we wouldn't be dealing with this at all but since that is not an option, I am so grateful that Tim is the one I'm going through this journey with.

We're both still holding out hope for a miracle drug to get rid of all of it so we can start living our lives with some security instead of this roller-coaster ride we can't seem to get off of. I think out of everything that has happened and how much our lives have changed over the past (almost) 3 years now, that is what I miss most of all. As many of you know I'm super OCD and a big planner, needless to say I've had to adjust my approach to the world over the past few years (which hasn't necessarily been a bad thing all the time) but I'm really just ready to be able to plan a vacation 6 months ahead of time without the concern of whether or not it may end up falling on a chemo week.

I've texted a few friends to let them know what is going on and the most common question has been "What can we do to help?" What we really need more than anything else right now is for lots of prayer for Tim that the right drug will be used next. I think both of us (as well as our families) need some stability and, though none of us have lost hope that a cure will be found soon, stability could go a long way in giving us a better sense of security and refreshed sense of hope. So please pass Tim's name & story to others you may know, prayer groups you may be a part of or if prayer isn't your thing just send good vibes, happy thoughts or whatever it is that you do believe in Tim's way. We'd be so grateful.

Tim & Jenny

12 comments:

Stacy Kinard said...

Hi! Megan posted your story and I'm now a follower. I am a Charleston resident and currently raising money for the local Leukemia and Lymphoma Society here. I want you to know I'll be praying for you and will be playing a ribbon on my jersey for Tim when I run in November.
(http://pages.teamintraining.org/sc/rnrsav12/stacyamy#Ribbon-Rememberance)
All my thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Maggie Laughlin said...

Tim and Jenny,

I know this result was not what any of us prayed for or expected, but I also know prayer is so powerful. I have contacted MANY people and asked them to pray for ya'll.
Of course, I will continue to lift you up. God has a "good and perfect plan" for you. I will be praying that the miracle drug is waiting for you!

Take care. Jenny, I know you are a big part of Tim's fight and I thank you for all you do.

Please give my love to the families.

In Christ,

Maggie

Karen Bright said...

With tears rolling down my face as I write this, I hope you both know that I love you both deeper than all the seas put together and I pray for you both day and night! BOTH of you are braver than I think I could ever be! Always here if either of you need to talk!
Love you,
Aunt Karen

Michelle McClendon said...

I just want you both to know that I keep you in my prayers regularly. You come to mind often, and when that happens I take it as a sign that there is need for a little bit of added strength, courage, patience, understanding, energy... something. You've been on my mind and heart often recently. Please just know that I am thinking of you and sending a measure of divine energy your way often these days. If there is something more tangible that I can do for either or both of you, please let me know. Michelle

Sheila Baker said...

The strength you two have is amazing!! We will without a doubt pray for you both and your families..

Dianne Massey said...

Tim and Jenny, Wally and I continue to pray for a miracle for Tim. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to have gone through all you've been through. You both are heroes in my book.

May God bless you both and give you the miracle you are asking for and strength as you fight the battle.

Love and prayers, Dianne Massey

Carroll Luck said...

Jenny,

Please know that you and Tim are always in our prayers. I talked with Ryan just after receiving this, and he was really just very quiet for a few seconds, and then he said how lucky he knew you both felt to have each other......and that he, too, would do all those things you requested---ask for prayers, send good thoughts, etc. His wife Alison is teaching French/Spanish in Silver Spring this year, so she commutes one direction and Ryan another from their apt in the Captiol Hill neighborhood of DC. I think I told you they got married in Baton Rouge last April.....a fun time for both families. Her family is just the greatest, so......like you and Tim......they have family support and love from all sides.

Thank you for allowing me to read your journal. Keep your faith and patience.......and always remember that you have so many friends out here cheering you on. Steve and I are glad we are two of those!

Hugs,

Carroll Luck

Sherry Wharton said...

Dear Jenny and Tim,

I stay incredibly impressed with the love and devotion you express for each other during these difficult trials.
I know it isn't easy, but your attitudes compliment one another. I just hope and pray that the next course of action will be the right one.

I am sorry a cure hasn't come sooner, but I know there are lots of new ideas and treatments in the world of medicine. Hopefully your doctors will find the right one soon. Meanwhile, I hope the break will be enjoyed.

Lots of love and prayers,

Sherry wharton

Carl & Ellen Hackling said...

Jenny and Tim, what an incredible journey you've both been on full of challenges, peaks and valleys. Your blog is a tribute to the way you have chosen to deal with cancer, and very eloquent in the way you have written it . There is a true sense of your plight, and a realization of how strong and courageous you both are. I can imagine that your blog has been helpful to others faced with this battle. We both salute you for your honesty and bravery, and the way you carry on with your lives day to day in a positive way.

Please know that you both are in our prayers and thoughts, AND GO NEW DRUGS THAT RID IT ALL, and keep up your valiant fight!

We are praying hard.

Sincerely, Carl and ellen

Judy Vick said...

Jenny,
Sue McCann had sent me the blogspot two days ago and I forwarded it on to our Book Club members to ask them for prayers and good vibes for Tim and you. None of us can really imagine what Tim and you are going through, but we all surely want you to know we care about you and send you our love, support, prayers, vibes and anything else that will help ! At times like this, we all want to know "what can we do" to help ? but feel bad putting the burden of an answer on you ! Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's something we can do to help you - mow the grass ? bring supper ? shop for something you need ? I'm sure the Book Club would love to prepare you some meals if that would take some small burden off of you. Just say the word !
In the meantime, know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. I pray for God to give Tim and you the strength to "just keep putting one foot in front of the other" in this process and know that He will never forsake you.

love and prayers,
Judy

Carolyn Mathis said...

Jenny, I have forwarded your post to the Koinonia Class. As always, know that you and Tim are in my heart and in my prayers. Take care, Carolyn

Celeste George said...

Thanks for the update from your perspective and from Tim's. You are both so amazing. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you make this difficult journey--adjusting each day to new challenges. I pray for peace, hope, and encouragement for you each day in addition to healing--and pray for wisdom for you and for your doctors.