Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chemo Round #1

I hope everyone is doing well today.  I thoght today would be a great day to give an update on how things are going.  This past weekend Jenny had her sorority sisters Jen and Jenny come into town for her girl's shower this past weekend.  It was good to see them and catch up again. I made them all dinner Friday night and proceeded to beat them in SceneIt, twice.

On Monday I got my port accessed for the first time.  I can't thank the Owings and Mrs. Van Gieson enough for telling me about the Emla Cream.  It was so nice not to feel a needle go into my body.  They took about 3 viles of blood to check all of my counts and then cleaned my port out with a Saline solution.  I still don't like needles or blood and I didn't look when they took the blood or after it was over but the whole process was totally painless.  We then went and met with Dr. Edenfield and talked to him for about 10 minutes and just had a couple of last minute questions. 

I did a lot of relaxing the rest of the day Monday and Tuesday.  I feel asleep very easily last night and slept through the night.  I woke up today got ready and met Jenny at my office so I could drop off my car.  We got to The Cancer Center a little after 8:30 and stayed there until about 1:15. 

When I got there they hooked me up to some fluids and then anti-nausia medicine for the day.  My nurse Lynn sat down with Jenny and I and told a little bit more about some of the side-effects I could expect to experience as I continue throughout this process.  I was then hooked up to my first dose of Chemo and it lasted about 2 hours.  Lynn then unhooked me and connected me to my travel pump.  The best way to describe this pump is it looks like a 1992 travel car phone.  It is way too funny but I am rocking it out the best I can.  Jenny says she is going to try to keep up by wearing her Myrtle Beach fanny pack (which I think she is actually really looking forward to) but I think we all really know who can pull off this look the best (sorry babe). I will keep this pump on me until Friday at about lunch time and then I will go back to The Caner Center and they will unhook me and I will be finished for the next week and a half before I do this all over again. 

I have felt good today and hopefully will feel this way throughout this entire process.  I was so anxious to get started today and I am looking forward to the end of this. 

Like always I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers as Jenny, our families, and I go through this.  Thank you all so much.

Post a Comment