Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My Side Of Things

Jenny has done an amazing job of keeping everyone up-to-date on how things over these past 2 weeks have been going for me.  I thought that I would try to piece together the things that I remember and how I thought that they happened.

On Friday it was a normal day when I woke up.  I woke up a bit earlier than usual and went a slept for about another 45 min on the couch just so that I wouldn't wake up Jenny.  We both then woke up at the same time and I stripped the bed and put the dirty sheets in the laundry and then came back to watch a few more minutes of tv while Jenny finished getting her shower.  I don't remember being cold or having the chills until I got into the shower that morning and I couldn't get the water hot enough to warm me up.  I had to have stayed in the shower at least 20 minutes before forcing myself out.  I was still shivering cold, so I got dressed quickly and got into my car turned the heat on high and started off to the cancer center for my bloodwork.

I got to the cancer center and was met by Lynn and she could tell something was wrong and took my temp really quick and it came back at 99.7.  She got me 2 heated blankets and sent me over to iTOR to get my blood drawn.  From there they took the blood samples that they needed and then started a bag of fluids to see if that would help any. By the time that the fluids were finished about an hour later my temperature had risen to over 103 and I was bundled under 12 or 13 warm blankets still freezing cold and not able to catch my breath.

At this point Dr. E and Julie decided that I needed to be admitted to the hospital to have a closer eye on my situation.  They moved me to floor 5-D which is the cancer ward of the hospital.  Met the great nurse and before I was in there for 15 minutes she was already calling the emergency response team.  My pulse was beating at about 130 - 150 beats per minute and I couldn't catch my breath.  At this point they decided to move me to ICU.

Here is where the story gets a bit washy for me and I don't remember too many details.  I remember being wheeled out of ICU up to the operating room for my surgery.  I remember meeting the doctor who was very nice and very tall.  The next thing after that I remember is waking up in the recovery room having a dream that there were 10 of us in there and we were all fighting and I woke up feeling terrible because I thought that I had hit a nurse.  Thank goodness I didn't.

Back in ICU I didn't sleep very well due to the nut job that was next to me yelling and screaming all night.

Saturday morning I woke up and everyone must have thought I was doing much better and I was able to be moved back up to the cancer ward of 5-D.  I was there and things were going well from what I though until on Monday and this is where I have a huge lapse of memory.  I don't know why I was moved back to ICU, I think that it has something do with me breathing out of control, and not being able to catch my breath.  Later after the fact I was told by Jenny that they said to her that if she had anything she wanted to stay to me to go ahead and say it then as well as to get my final wishes and my preferences about being intubated.  I think that is the scariest part of this whole ordeal.  I wish that I had known about this because there would have been things that I wanted to say as well.

I stayed in ICU again that Monday night and got the best night of sleep that I received the entire stay of the hospital and by the morning I was a completely different person. They yet again moved me out of ICU to a room on the 4th floor where I would stay until my departure on Friday.  Tuesday through Friday were pretty boring from what I remember with not much excitement.

I guess that I wanted to writing this today because it helps me deal with this ordeal.  It is a very scary thing to find out that you almost died at one point.  It makes you look back and see what you could have done differently in our life.  I am glad that I have been give this second chance at life.  I am going to try to make the most of every situation.

I can't begin to thank everyone enough for all of your thoughts at prayers during this time for me.  I am convinced it is the only what that I made it through.  There is still a long battle left for me to fight so please keep them coming.

I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart,
Post a Comment